capturing colour...

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hate on Sunday

I decided to go to evening service with B on Sunday evening. Part way through the service something pretty shocking happend. This couple was at the front talking about their upcoming medical missions trip to East Africa. All of a sudden this guy raised his hand as if to ask a question. This guy had already yelled out some comment (that I couldn't understand) right before the offering. When the couple asked if he had a question, the guy started by saying something about there being need in Australia, and then finished by unloading this racist tirade about Africans and Muslims, making reference to recent events that took place in Australia. Needless to say, everyone in the congregation sat there stunned at what had just happend.

Pastor T handled the situation really well though, and was able to diffuse the situation without providing fuel for the fire. This was one angry individual, and that situation could have become even uglier very quickly. I guess the guy was disappointed that he didn't find any likeminded racists at church, because he walked out not long after. I don't think anyone really knew who this guy was. I'm assuming he wasn't a regular, but who knows... I don't usually go to night service.

As is probably pretty obvious, I'm completely appauled by this guy's racism. It completely disgusts me, and makes me wonder how someone can be filled with such hate. However, it's so easy for me to turn around and repay evil with evil by hating him. So what does that mean? Do I hate those who hate? I overheard this guy who was sitting near B and I say that he wished the racist guy had stuck around, intead of walking out, because he really wanted to talk to him. That really struck me. Instead of wanting to confront the guy in a hostile way, he actually wanted to talk with him, and listen to him, to find out why he's so angry. Honestly, I don't know if I would have been able to do that... to see him the way Christ would... as a man broken, and hurt, who needs God's healing.

While this event was definitely out of the ordinary, it's not the first time I've witnessed acts of overt racism and xenephobia here in Australia.. In general there's just a lot more racism here, in comparison to back home, but that will have to be the topic of another entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home