capturing colour...

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Racism at the grocery store

As I mentioned before, in general, there's a lot more racism over here. This incident took place back in April, while I was at the grocery store. To understand this story, I'll have to explain a few things first. Perth has a reputation as being a great, and relatively inexpensive, place to study english. As a result, there are tons of asian students (mostly Koreans and Japanese), who study english here. Most of the english schools are downtown, and so there are always tons of english students at the grocery store in late afternoon. Another thing is that stores close REALLY early in Perth (5:00-6:00pm!), and so there's always a mad rush between 4-6.

Waiting in a long line at the grocery store, the lady behind me turns and says:

Lady: The market is so bloody crowded. It’s all these awful foreigners, taking up our space.

Thinking: Whoa… that wasn’t very nice. Hmm… I think I’m gonna have some fun with this.

Jason: (playing dumb) But… but… I’m a foreigner.

Lady: (realizing her mistake and thinking that maybe I’m a tourist) Oh, oh.. that't not what I meant. I meant the foreign students.

Thinking: The foreign students… right.

Jason: But, I’m a foreign student

Lady: Err… uh… uh……

Thinking: Oh, you meant the non-white people

Jason: (Waiting just long enough to make her feel awkward and then smiling) Yes, it’s very crowded today. Must be all the people on their way home from work.

Haha.. I'm such loser sometimes. I realize that this probably wasn't the most mature way to handle the situation.... but I must admit... it felt good to teach her a lesson. =)

2 Comments:

  • that's awesome! the Jason that i knew in high school probably would've stayed quiet. I have a vindictive attitude so i'm happy that you have the balls to put her in her place and teach her a lesson.

    By Blogger elaine s, at 6:41 AM  

  • Nice. I always forget how lucky we are in Canada to be pretty tolerant, at least on the outside :) Nice going Jas, the only thing you could have done better was maybe run away crying, that would have been funny, like that scene in the Simpsons where Joey Joe Joe Schabadoo runs out after Moe says it's the stupidest name he's ever heard.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home